Responsible for scheduling patient appointments for all surgical and procedural services for the facility. Records statistics as requested. Performs other secretarial/clerical duties as needed.
Demonstrates Competency in the Following Areas:
· Responsible for patient scheduling for the following areas: Surgery, Endoscopy, Pain Management, Radiology, Pre-admit testing utilizing the CPSI program.
· Schedules patient appointments, handles cancellation, and adjusts schedule, as per patients, physicians and physicians' office staff and under the direction of facility leadership.
· Obtains patient demographic and insurance information and enters data into computer system when scheduling procedures.
· Obtains authorizations and enters data into computer system when scheduling radiology procedures.
· Assists Director/Manager in developing and monitor surgical block times allocated for individual surgeons and/or service.
· Alerts Surgical Services regarding special equipment/supplies per surgeon’s request.
· Prints surgery and procedural schedules for the staff members and anesthesia.
· Works with department director/managers regarding times of service, length of procedures, etc., for appropriate scheduling of patients.
· Notifies appropriate departments of any changes in schedules after the schedules have been finalized
· Provides patients with general information about the specific department, directions to the department, parking. Orders applicable services, i.e., wheel chairs, interpreters.
· Provides patient with any pre-appointment special instructions.
· Updates information in the computer system for return patients.
· Maintains regulatory requirements, policies and procedures and standards, safety regulations and guidelines.
· Maintains a good working relationship within the department and with other departments.
· Interacts professionally with physicians, patients/families and healthcare staff.
· Treats patients and their families with respect and dignity.
· Supports and maintains a culture of safety and quality.
· Orders office supplies as needed. Assists in cost containment.
· Answers the telephone in a professional and polite manner, communicates information to appropriate staff.
· Communicates clearly and appropriately.
· Demonstrates an ability to be flexible, organized and function under stressful situations.
· Utilizes initiative; strives to maintain steady level of productivity; self-motivated. Organization and management of the Central Scheduler’s activities reflects due consideration for the needs of the Outpatient Department.
· Makes decisions reflecting knowledge of facts and good judgment within scope of practice for this position.
· Accurately enters charges.
· Trains relief staff.
· Prepares statistical reports.
· Accepts other responsibilities as directed.
· High school graduate or equivalent.
· Completion of medical terminology course or medical secretary program.
· Minimum of one (1) year experience as a scheduler.
· Current BLS certification optional.